Eskrima Introduction

Eskrima is a martial art style from the Philippines. Eskrima is sometimes spelled Escrima. I often get asked what is the difference between Eskrima, Arnis and Kali. I have had some training in all three styles, and from my personal experience I can say that there is no difference between the three styles.

Historically Eskrima was developed by the Filipino tribal warriors.  They combined their own warrior methods with fencing when the Spanish Conquistadors arrived. Eskrima was put to use during World War II when the Japanese invaded. Afterwards it was also combined with Japanese martial arts. Experts began to duel each other, and later on their students would use Eskrima on the streets in gang fights.

Today in the Philippines Eskrima is being taught in schools as part of a PE program. It is also taught to military and police.

In the USA Eskrima is featured in many Hollywood films because of Bruce Lee's top student Dan Inosanto. Many Jeet Kune Do instructors today include Eskrima in their curriculum, because of Dan Inosanto.

Back in the 90s when I learned Eskrima, it was taught to me as a weapons based style that is good combine with whatever style you practice as your main style. During this time, my main style was Kuk Sool Won, so I incorporated Eskrima.

Comments