THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT and THE PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT double feature film review by Wmpyr

The Land That Time Forgot (1975) and The People That Time Forgot (1977)
film review by Wmpyr

First of all I have to say that these films belong in a four part story line. The Land That Time Forgot came first, then came At The Earth's Core, then The People That Time Forgot, and finally Warlords of Atlantis. I had read that Warlords of Atlantis was the best of the bunch, and The People That Time Forgot was second best.

Fairly recently I saw The People That Time Forgot either on Netflix or on my computer. I wasn't expecting much, it starts a little slow, but I started to really get into it as it went on, and by the end I couldn't take my eyes off this film. It reminded me of so many things such as the 1999 TV show The Lost World. After reading about the many similarities between this movie and Star Wars, it only made me appreciate this film even more. And the reviews I read on IMDB were actually spot on. I don't think the actors are bad, but the way they deliver their lines is very different from what is considered good today. The special effects feel incredibly dated and lame, but for back then I think it was ok. The score is really nice. Shot on a beautiful location. Screenplay is actually fairly standard for a fantasy story back then, and it works out pretty good. Overall I really enjoyed this one and it made me want to see the other three.

To my surprise my local grocery store had The Land That Time Forgot and The People That Time Forgot in a DVD 2 pack! So just last night I got to see The Land That Time Forgot. It definitely isn't as good as The People That Time Forgot, although the special effects for the dinosaurs did seem better. Story wise, The People That Time Forgot definitely feels like an improvement. Like if they sat down and said what can we change to make it better? 1) Get to the lost continent sooner. 2) Don't make your expedition crew so large. 3) Replace dumb caveman with attractive cave girl. 4) Battle Samurai warriors instead of cavemen tribe. So on and so forth, but I still enjoyed The Land That Time Forgot, and I'm looking forward to seeing the other two films.


Comments