SWAMP THING film review by Wmpyr

Swamp Thing (1982)
film review by Wmpyr

I first watched this film in the 80s as a kid on HBO. It was a bit too scary, but at the same time I enjoyed it, and I liked how he was a different kind of superhero. In 2002ish I owned this film and watched it several times really liking it. It's been more than a decade, and I finally saw it again just now, and I really didn't enjoy it as much. I have nostalgic memories of Swamp Thing, from the first film, to the campy second one, the TV series, comic books and even the Kenner toy line and that cartoon with the awful opening music... The magic just wasn't there anymore, maybe I will enjoy the 2nd film better, who knows. When Dr. Alec Holland said he was working on a serum that combines animal DNA with plant DNA to make a more aggressive plant, it just rubbed me the wrong way. I think plants are plenty aggressive in their own way. It would have made more sense if he had said he wanted to make a plant that would be carnivorous, or have motor functions like animals then it would have been better for me, but yeah I know it's not that big of a deal. This is pseudo science for a freaking movie at the end of the day. The serum suddenly has properties to multiply your true self, which came from left field. And I'm not even sure that Dr. Arcane drinking it and turning into some boar monster really is an extreme reflection of him. Once again it may not be an important note, at the end of the day we get Swampy vs Dr. Arcane in a monster form, that should be cool, but I feel like this film ruins the story of Swamp Thing. The success of this movie probably gave the DC comic writers a headache. Sadly for me this isn't a movie that I want to own anymore.






Comments