Imaginext Castle Wizard Tower playset review by Wmpyr

Imaginext Castle Wizard Tower playset from Fisher-Price
toy review by Wmpyr

Tentaclor blew me away, Ion Alien Headquarters is a must have. Sadly the Wizard's Tower is mediocre at best, even the construction feels a bit flimsy compared to my other Imaginext playsets. Fortunately I was able to get it at a discounted price, and I would recommend this set if it's for $20 or under. For $30 I have to say pass.

The first problem is that the back part of the tower is made as the display side. The wall side is just an unattractive plain wall. This may not seem like that big of a problem, but compared to some of the other sets, this set just doesn't look as good. Maybe it's not a big deal to you as long as you like the black cage as the center piece of the playset. The other problem is the so called dragon. You get this humanoid snake dragon looking thing, that really isn't bad but to call it a dragon is a disappointment. A dragon should be at least 3 times bigger than this thing.

The good thing about this playset is that the wizard does look pretty cool even though he is a little on the generic side. I like his robe shaped legs, his staff, and his hood. I'm not a big fan of the telescope accessory simply because I would have preferred the magical book instead, because the book as an item has way more playability. I like that the Tower has a dungeon crawl space.

The main gimmick is that you can place any number of creatures inside the cage area to have them light up via black light. While the light up feature doesn't work all that great, since I have many of these not included creatures, Imaginext must have done something right. Too bad I'm more excited about the add-on material rather than the actual playset.

The hood piece for the wizard has a symbol that is similar to the one on Skeletor's chest armor. The bottom of the Tower has graphics like Castle Grayskull. Paying these kinds of homage to toys of yesteryear is a genius move and will eventually win over more and more adult toy collectors such as myself, which would only be a win-win situation for Imaginext.

At the end of the day this is still a playset that I got at a discount, so I definitely do not regret it. And it would make a nice addition to any castle playset.




Comments