靈幻道士 キョンシー 大戦争 Reigendoushi Kyonshee Daisensou gamebook


靈幻道士 キョンシー 大戦争 Reigendoushi Kyonshee Daisensou
双葉文庫ゲームブックシリーズ 1988 Gamebook
review by Wmpyr

When I was living in Japan, I saw Reigendoushi Kyonshee Daisensou at a LAWSON convenient store, and I got it after seeing a family friend come over and get a baseball gamebook. I was already into the Endless Quests gamebooks which I got at an American book fair in Japan. I didn't know that Japan had any gamebooks like the Endless Quests books. This one was a little different because it was more than just flipping pages and actually requires you to have a character sheet. I wasn't too happy about that but decided to give it a try anyway. At the time the Chinese vampire, the Kyonshee was super popular and I happen to like them a lot so that was another incentive for me to give this a try. This book is actually very well done, back in the day I thought it was too hard, but after recently giving it a try after more than 25 years later, I can say that it has impressed me like crazy. It's cool because your a Reigendoushi, a Daoist Priest that specializes in taking care of the Chinese Vampires. Sort of like an Exorcist combined with a Voodoo Priest and martial arts expert. Your allowed to pick one of two weapons from the beginning, a sword made from peach wood that uses your Kung Fu power or a sword made from coins which uses your Magical power. You have five different stats where you must divide up 30 points to build your character.

Kung Fu
Magic
Intelligence
Luck
HP

You start in the mall where there is a Kyonshee exhibit. A valuable orb is stolen by a mysterious master thief, just think Arsene Lupin or a Pink Panther type jewel thief. You will encounter three thug like Kyonshees an imp of a baby Kyonshee, a girl pretending to be a boy, and have lots of action packed martial arts fighting with some humor sprinkled in. It also considerately had an image of two dice printed on some pages so that you can play even if you forgot your dice. The negatives for me was that it was written in first person, and the worst part of that is that you sound like a country bumpkin, which got annoying for me. And I would have preferred different stats over intelligence and luck. Overall, this has to be one of the best gamebooks I've ever played in my life.

Comments