Barrio Tales

Barrio Tales
2012 film review by Wmpyr

I saw this on Netflix just because it looked interesting and I wanted to get through as many horror films on there as I could. I have to say that this was a big disappointment for me. I like films like this comprised of short stories, and I thought it was well filmed, actors were good, location was fine, SFX and budget was fine, so what was the problem? The stories, all the stories had such a strong racism aspect to it, that it was just not entertaining in anyway, it was just really annoying. I wanted to see Mexican, Chicano, or hispanic culture throughout this film, but I felt like the racism aspect over dominated everything else. I'm not even saying that it's poorly written because I didn't think so, I'm just bummed that here is a chance to visit a different culture/world and I didn't get to visit anywhere because of the focus on hate and prejudice. I felt like Return of the Dead 3 does a more interesting job showing Chicanos than this film, and that one wasn't even intended, for some random reason they decided to make those punks homies. Anyways this had a lot of potential, well made for sure, but I'm turned off by the stories, which were obviously a deliberate choice by the makers and I'm sad that they took it in that direction.

Comments