Deliver Us From Evil

DELIVER US FROM EVIL
2014 film review by Wmpyr

I saw this film in the movie theatre, which is something I normally don't like to do, because the last time I went to a movie theatre, my experience was ruined because of the young kids. I went to go see Insidious 2, and all the kids being overly scared or the two morons who sat next to me trying to act tough completely ruined it for me. And there's always that one idiot that likes to yell out and try to scare people during a suspenseful scene. This time fortunately I didn't encounter any of that nonsense, however there were still some young jerks that kept their brightly lit cellphones from time to time throughout the feature. I think that watching this film in the theatre definitely made it scarier. Visually it's not an impressive movie, it's suppose to look ugly, grainy, and dark, give you that very street feel, it captures the crime infested poverty areas of Brooklyn well in my opinion. Even though the film was scary, two things really made it less scary for me, the heavy emphasis on religion, and second was just Eric Bana being a badass actor. They could have toned down the religious aspect and basically you have some maniac cult followers that the cops have to put away. In a way it reminded me a little bit of the the hit TV show with Kevin Bacon, The Following. I thought all the actors in this film were good, Eric Bana is superb, but so is Sean Harris with the help of makeup and some cinema magic. I watched an interview with Eric Bana on this film, and some interviews with Ralph Sarchie the real life person that Eric Bana plays. It's definitely fascinating, even though science maybe the leading school of thought today, religion throughout the history of mankind not only existed, it served many purposes, and it functioned to who knows what extent. It's fascinating to think that there can be some of that left today, whether for good or evil, a few people who have devoted themselves to the craft are able to use religious beliefs to affect their reality and the reality of others.

Comments