Demonic Toys from Full Moon

DEMONIC TOYS
1992 film review by Wmpyr

Despite the title and concept sounding quite silly, while definitely being campy the movie does take itself quite seriously especially with the demonic possession aspect of the story. I think this film is unique and a totally solid Full Moon title, downside is that the story has a little too much going on for it's own good, the villain has to pretty much explain what is going on, through the flashbacks, and his origin story, since lots happen here, the heroin cop is pregnant, her partner gets killed, she has to chase the criminals, she gets locked up in a warehouse, survive the Demonic toys, deal with a yell only rebellious pizza boy, and a survivor a la Newt from Aliens. I have to give credit to the director for pulling it off, but at times it felt like it was a little bit too much going on, thankfully it wasn't like Secrets of the Clown where I think it got lost in it's own story. At the end of the day was this film entertaining or did it fail in story telling? My answer is that it was entertaining. I have been enjoying the ultra campy comedy horror films from Full Moon such as the Gingerdead Man and Evil Bong series, this one is not as deliberately funny, it's still good and I have to call it classic Full Moon. The Demonic Toys themselves steal the show, but the toy warehouse is a great location, and having a crawl space scene is always cool in my book. The brief fight scene that Tracy Scoggins had was well executed and I thought that it looked quite good. The gas mask wearing "specter watchers" on tricycles was nice and creepy and I like the giant killer teddy bear at the end as well. Since I also own Demonic Toys 2, and Dollman vs Demonic Toys, I am looking forward to seeing those too.

Comments