LIGHT ON QUESTS MOUNTAIN gamebook review by Wmpyr


LIGHT ON QUESTS MOUNTAIN gamebook review by Wmpyr

By TSR, Dungeons & Dragons, A Gamma World Adventure Book
An Endless Quest Book #12
by Mary L. Kirchoff and James M. Ward

#1 DUNGEON OF DREAD
#2 MOUNTAIN OF MIRRORS
#3 PILLARS OF PENTEGARN
#4 RETURN TO BROOKMERE
#5 REVOLT OF THE DWARVES
#6 REVENGE OF THE RAINBOW DRAGONS
#7 HERO OF WASHINGTON SQUARE
#8 VILLAINS OF VOLTURNUS
#9 ROBBERS AND ROBOTS
#10 CIRCUS OF FEAR
#11 SPELL OF THE WINTER WIZARD
#12 LIGHT ON QUESTS MOUNTAIN

As a kid I had #4 Return to Brookmere, and it was my favorite gamebook. So as an adult now, I was super excited to find this book from the same franchise. I picked it up without realizing that this was set in the Gamma World and not in the typical Dungeons & Dragons setting. This was a pleasant surprise to me because I do like the post apocalyptic future setting. The cover art is intriguing, we have a beast fighting against a green haired, blue skinned, two-headed, four-armed girl in a sword fight. The girl is really cool looking and reminds me of a Hindu deity. Unfortunately you are not her. She does appear in the novel. So do some very interesting characters such as a trickster rabbit, metal monster that looks like a large construction vehicle, and a half-man half-robot.
The story is basically about you a kid who is going on a rites of passage mission with two of your mutant friends, a monkey man and a lizard man. Because your going on a journey with these colorful characters it reminded me of Go West, which is the original story that the famous manga Dragon Ball was based off of. Your adventure also has a little bit of Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland feel to it. There is a really cool scene where it reminded me of the poppy seeds scene in Wizard of Oz but better in my opinion, when your character is told by the plants how civilization started over. Another really cool part is when your riding on a pineto, a moving plant organism that can be rode on like horses. I was also glad that they put segments with your missing brother. Overall I thought it was a pretty enjoyable experience, definitely a nice change of pace from the usual stuff.

Comments